These Piña Colada cupcakes are super simple & guaranteed to be a hit at any party this summer…
This week’s #somethingnew are these funny little piña colada cupcakes I made for my dad for Father’s Day. Yes they may look a little girly for Father’s Day, but he is outnumbered by females in this family so he is used to it : ) When I asked him what he wanted me to bake for him for Father’s day, he said a “pineapple or coconut dessert” so these piña colada cupcakes were a major win-win in his book.
Most of the original recipes I found had at least 30 ingredients because they were all starting from scratch. Typically, when I am reading a recipe, if it has more than 10-15 ingredients, then I’m out… So here is my own simplified version. This way you don’t have to completely make everything from scratch because nobody has time for that, especially on a day like Father’s Day!
What you will need…
Recipe makes 18 cupcakes*
Pineapple cupcake batter:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 8-oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup of Vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
Coconut rum cream cheese icing:
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temp
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 3 cups of confectioner’s powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of coconut rum (OR you can use rum extract)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
For the fun stuff (decor):
- 1 jar of maraschino cherries
- Fresh pineapple slices
- Toasted coconut (optional)
- Flexible, colorful straws (optional)
- Mini cocktail umbrellas (wish I had some of these today)
- P.S. How cute is my new cupcake stand?? Makes a great centerpiece too!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with baking cups & set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the entire box of cake mix, eggs, water, and oil at a low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add the drained pineapple, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 tsp of coconut extract. Mix briefly until it is blended nicely. (10-15 seconds)
- Pour into cupcake liners; about 3/4 of the way full. (Tip: I scoop the batter out with an ice cream scooper. It makes it easier to keep the measurements uniformed)
- Bake cupcakes for 18-21 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test (insert a toothpick in the center of a cupcake & it comes out clean)
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool. While they are cooling, make your icing.
- COCONUT RUM ICING: In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter on a medium speed until smooth. Add the vanilla & coconut extracts and 2 cups of powdered sugar; pour in 1 cup at a time until blended. Add the coconut rum and beat until fluffy (appox. 1 minute). After you add the rum, add in one more cup of powdered sugar to thicken the consistency.
- Optional: Toast shredded coconut. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut on a baking sheet & spread it out so it is one even layer. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees until lightly toasted.
- Spread the icing on your cupcake, sprinkle the shredded coconut, & garnish with a slice of pineapple and cherry on top! I cut up a few plastic straws & I wish I had some mini cocktail umbrellas so it would really look like a little baby piña colada, but these are all optional steps!
I thought these were perfect to share with y’all because they are so summery & fun. They would be awesome to take to any get-together this summer! Enjoy Xx